A Wedding Meme found at Quiet Life
1. Where/How did you meet?
Mount Hermon Christian Conference Center, in the Santa Cruz mountains. The year was 1995. I had just graduated highschool two weeks earlier. He was midway through Seminary.
2. How long have you known each other?
12 years this June
3. How long after you met did you start dating?
Maybe two weeks? Or less perhaps.
4. How long did you date before you were engaged?
1 year, lots of that was writing letters though since we were long distance.
5. How long was your engagement?
10 months long
6. How long have you been married?
coming up on 10 years
7. What is your anniversary?
May 25 (1997)
8. How many people came to your wedding reception?
9. What kind of cake did you serve?
White with raspberry in the middle for half of it and with lemon in the middle for the other half
10. Where was your wedding?
Dunsmuir Historic Estate – Mansion lawn; Oakland, California
11. What did you serve for your meal?
Cake and punch! That’s it!
12. How many people were in your wedding party?
11 (Isn’t that odd? Why yes it is odd.)
13. Are you still friends with them all?
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?
No. He sweated from his eyes.
15. Most special moment of your wedding day?
I don’t believe I’m permitted to tell you all that!
16. Any funny moments?
Yes. The only bathroom available was an outhouse, albeit a nice one. I had to have three people come in with me and hold my dress up over my head.
Oh and I had specifically requested that the D.J. not play any lame 80’s love songs or say anything sappy and cheeseworthy. He heeded not my grave and sinister warnings for lo and behold what did I hear blaring through the sound equipment but, “We’re in this thing together…” and as we drove away in my father’s convertable mustang, his voice sappily saying, “There you go folks. Proof that fairy tales really do come true…” I wanted to jump off the back of the car and grab the microphone out of his hand and stuff it down his dripping-with-sap mouth! But I figured that would have had a worse impression over all than just plain cheese.
17. Any big disasters?
My Great Uncle spilled punch down the back of my dress while hugging me but nobody really noticed and I didn’t really care. It came out anyways. Pretty minor. Oh and the D.J. (God bless him) taped over half of the track that my aunt and uncle were going to sing to so they had to read the first verse of the song they were going to sing rather than sing it. But everybody thought this was just a cool thing to do and they thought it was planned so no harm done really.
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?
19. How long were you gone?
20. If you were to do your wedding over,
I would have had a string quartet rather than a cheesy D.J. Other than that I wouldn’t really change a thing.
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?
Left (though I must be honest and tell you that I drift towards the middle much to his chagrin.)
22. What size is your bed?
23. Greatest strength as a couple?
Forgiveness and playfulness.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple?
Bickering over silly things (never over important things)
25. Who literally pays the bills?
26. What is your song?
Well, the song that we officially danced to (though there was no official dance floor) was In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel. But in reality we have a lot of different songs for different stages in our marriage… certain songs that remind us of certain eras or relational milestones so I can’t really point to one in particular.
27. What did you dance your first dance to?
Just mentioned that above.
28. Describe your wedding dress:
White. Off the shoulder. Simple. Flowing. Graceful. I loved it! It was the first one I tried on.
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?
All different kinds from my Mom’s garden and other peoples’ gardens. My favorite is Freesia and those (and Roses) were some of the main ones in mine.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved?
Yes. With the date and the reference for Song of Solomon 8:6-7
31. How old were you when you got married?
I was 20. He was 25.
Maybe I’ll post pictures on our anniversary.